Thursday, June 12, 2008

Fast Shoes

From a very early age, my girls were very particular about their clothes. They had very strong likes and dislikes and I had to relinquish control over that in order to maintain a good mother/daughter relationship. So I was excited to have a boy who could care less about his clothes. That part is true (for now at least although there are signs of change...). However, I forgot to be complete in my wish and so instead he cares tremendously about his shoes. He will not wear any of the cute flip flops (he has 3 pair!) that I've purchased for him. He will ONLY wear his "fast shoes" which are his tennis shoes. He does not think he can run fast without them. He won't even try. On the few rare occasions where I somehow coerced him to wear those other non-fast shoes, he moves at a snails pace with slumped over shoulders as if he is the saddest boy in town. The happiest day in his life is when he found Owen's pair of Sketchers that he has outgrown (and are melted from being too close to the heater overnight and the velcro doesn't work). He thought he struck gold! Owen graciously gave them to him and Karsten came home and (literally) tried to glue the one shoe where the velcro wasn't holding. That didn't work so he came up with the perfect solution all of his own...


Lord help me...

9 comments:

Tristen said...

Hilarious and adorable. Great thinker he is!

Laura said...

That is SOOOO great! Also loved the "medicine" issue. Yeah, my little babies "LOVE" medicine---especially when someone else is getting it!

Natalie said...

Ha ha ha, that's too funny!

Britney said...

Another good laugh before I hit the sack...thanks!

Did he get a hair cut?

JaNece said...

It does not get cuter than that! WOW! What a funny little guy my nephew is! Can I take him home with me?

Sally said...

That is so funny! you're lucky it's just the shoes, Zack is picky about everything! Frustrating!

Love his little attitude picture!

Jyl said...

too cute!

Marianna said...

He was SO excited when Owen told him he cold have those beat up old shoes! He couldn't wait to show you! It was so cute! We LOVE Karsten!

jenlinmin said...

I say "let him be a kid". Let him wear mis-matched shoes. I don't think you'll ever look back and regret it. If you make him wear matching shoes, you won't have something to look back and miss and laugh about when he grows up. These are the things I keep trying to tell myself when my girls do crazy things. I want to look back and miss kids who do crazy kid things, not boring mini-adult kids who do everything my way. Just a thought for one of the greatest moms I know!