Tuesday, March 9, 2010

One year ago

One year ago doctors had some very bad news.  
We didn't know what would happen.  
We didn't know what to do.
We didn't know if there was anything we could do.
We were scared.
Yet what we didn't know was that 2 superheroes had emerged.
Out of the ordinary.
Two regular people who had superhero strength hiding inside of them
waiting,
until the world needed their powers.

One year later, we're celebrating superhero mom and dad.
For their strength, and their hope, and their miracle.

MOM has become a cancer expert, food nutritionist, healer, and most important of all 
hope guru.
When we had tears, she battled them with 
hope we hadn't dared look for.
She took our fears and asked us to be stronger than that 
and pray for a miracle.
Do we dare?
Us?
An ordinary family - ask for a miracle?
Superhero Mom said yes.
So we did.
And we got one.
Just because we dared ask.

My DAD is tough.  
Not your ordinary "my dad can beat up your dad" tough, 
but tougher.
He had to look death in the face.
He had to have the courage to say,
"Nope.  Not me.  Not yet."
And then he had to deal with that Every. Single. Day.
Even though his body had betrayed him.
Even though his mind knew the odds.
Even though it felt so unfair.
And he did that.  Every day.  And his body rebelled.  He felt sick.  He felt weak.  He felt tired.  Yet every day he got up.  And maybe he went to bed early, but he got up.  And continues to get up.  Every. Single. Day.  That takes superhero strength.

And so here we are a year later.  All together because really my parents are superheroes.  
They knew we had more memories to make.  
And so we are.

I'm so proud of my super hero parents.

12 comments:

JaNece said...

Couldn't have said it better myself! Amen sister! What a miracle our family has seen! :)

Natalie said...

Wow, that was written so perfect. I'm so happy that your family has seen this miracle. I think of your dad often.

John and Stef said...

Mindy, this made me cry! So touching and so wonderful. A million congrats to your Dad!

bottspot said...

It's amazing what prayers, will power and a little faith can do. Amazing!

Laura said...

Are you trying to make me cry? How did you know I needed to read this today. Love you.

milkman said...

Absolutely amazing. How wonderful! I love your family!

hkobeal said...

Loved reading this, Mindy.

Sally said...

Made me cry! I'm so happy for your family and for miracles!!!

Christi said...

This made me cry. Your family has truly seen a miracle. I hope my family is as lucky as yours. Your parents are awesome!

JaNece said...

So I bawled when I read this and have been wanting to post something, too. I just did and then looked at yours again to realize I used the same title and I stole your pictures! (Gulp) Sorry! I just look up to you too much. P.S. That is an awesome pic you took of Mom and dad, by the way. GOOD JOB! It is the one and only pic mom will actually not throw away. How did you do it??? Hooray for today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tyra said...

What beautiful sentiments about your parents!! You are just as wonderful yourself. Glad that things are working out so well with your dad.

Jyl said...

I am proud of my super hero second parents Jack and Unice too! You go Jack! Keep fighting!
Love you guys