Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Snow or no Snow

Yeah, I'm still running...

I remember when it first started snowing and I put away my running shoes because who runs in the snow, right?  And then I DID see people running in the snow and I thought "Alaskans are the toughest people."  I admired them for months.  And then one day I realized that I am tough.  So I put on my shoes (with attachable grips which are like cleats so I won't slip on the ice) and I started to run.  I realized that 7 degrees is too cold without a face mask, and 21 degrees feels really cold until you start running.  I often run past moose.  My biggest fear when  running isn't being mugged or attacked anymore, it's running into a waking bear.  Things are a bit different here...

Oh, I miss the days of running in shorts (will it ever be that warm again?) and some days it's hard being this tough, but I have to admit it feels good and running is what keeps me sane.  So snow or no snow, I'm a runner. 

12 comments:

Amy said...

You are tough for sure. Wat to go!

Lindsay JJ said...

You know you have become a true Alaskan when you run in shorts when it hits 45 degrees! Maybe we still can fit in a little more skiing! ha ha!

Becca said...

You're awesome!! Running is great isn't it?!?! Some days I really can't get enough of it.

Jolyn Buhrley said...

Ha, I love this...becaue I have the same 'attachable grips' to put on my running shoes! AND have made the same discovery about the 22 degree weather. Although, I must say we don't see many 7 degree mornings here..sorry about that one! (i'm also sure I don't have to run in my 'cleats' near as often as you tough Alaska girl! Not to mention... I run into a dear or fox here and there...but have yet to see a bear or moose!:))

Running does do wonders for sanity!!:)Hang in there, I'm sure you will see green again eventually?!

cchrissyy said...

very cool!

Christi said...

You are so brave! 7 degrees. That's crazy.

Christina said...

You are one tough woman! Way to be! I am quite impressed. But then again, you cease to amaze me! What can't/won't you do? :)

Jill Heaps said...

You are my hero!!! It's funny what insane things we do for our sanity :) We should try to run a race together when you come to Utah next. Wouldn't it be great to get all the cousins together!? YOU are such a trooper. I am so impressed with your positive attitude. You are making the BEST out of every situation. Thanks for your example!

JACK-A-JAME? said...

YOu are awesome! That is something I have always wanted to be but I am afraid I am just not. 1-2 miles is good for me. I totally admire you though and it is so inspiring!

Jen said...

sorry- the warner family is me!

Marianna said...

You GO girl! I miss my running buddy!!!

Jeni said...

You are seriously my hero. Why am I complaining that it's only 60 deg here? I need to get my butt outside and start running again.