Friday, February 27, 2009

Pomo Basket Weaver


Sierra (4th grade) had to do a project for class about one of the Indian tribes they've been studying. She's a beautiful writer and a great artist but instead of choosing one of these projects that would certainly have been easy with a guaranteed good grade, she decided to make a replica of something the Indians used. In this case, the Pomo made beautiful baskets. Of course I didn't want to discourage her, but yikes! How in the world were we going to figure out how to make a basket? The Indians took hundreds of years to develop their basket making skills! But, in Sierra fashion, she found a website that gave instructions (very rudimentary I might add), gathered some pine needles, and made a basket. It turned out beautifully and I could not be prouder.

Here's to those who try new things and refuse to set boundaries for themselves!




7 comments:

Christi said...

She's a genius I tell ya. A GENIUS. Tell that little genius I want a basket. I'll even send her some pine needles. LOL It's so cute. Perfect for little trinkets. Genius!

Christina said...

Wow! I have such amazing, brilliant nieces!!! That is truly amazing! I can't believe that she was able to make one so quickly! Actually, I'm not surprised! Good job, Sierra!

Monica said...

Very Impressive! What a good mom you are to make her believe she can do anything! That belief will help her achieve greatness!
I'm so sorry about your vacation! I know how you feel---we were going to Hawaii last week with some friends but do to our circumstances with Joslyn we cancelled last minute, which we know was the right decision, but it was so hard to look at my friends pictures on facebook of the trip that didn't happen for us!

You'll be able to go again and will appreciate that much more!

Tyra said...

What a talented little girl--I think she is a future president of the US someday with her confidence. You go Sierra.

bottspot said...

She's amazing. I thought of her the other night when I heard on the news that California is encouraging people to conserve water. Love ya!

jenlinmin said...

I knew if anybody could do it, it would be Sierra! Good job, girlie!!!

Sally said...

She is too cute! Way to go Sierra!