Thursday, January 20, 2011

Day Off

This is my first day off in working 8 days straight.  Working?  That's right.  I am an employee of ASD, Anchorage school district.  The new politically correct term for my position is "Guest Teacher" although that hasn't really caught on with the kids and they still call me the substitute teacher.  It's an awesome gig!  I spend most of my time teaching 1st graders.  First graders are adorable although you have to repeat everything you say 9 times.  And even then there will always be one kid who says, "I don't know what I'm suppose to do here."  But many are missing those two front teeth which of course I LOVE so I can't stay irritated at them for very long.  

I also got to teach Skyla's class which is a 4/5 grade combo.  That was awesome too because they are independent workers and laugh at my jokes.  Except that they are growing terrariums on their desks and within the first 5 minutes of me being there I found 2 of the crickets had escaped.  I was VERY proud of myself for not screaming.  I would have lost all credibility if that would have happened.  So disaster averted thank goodness!

Back to my day off.  I have quickly discovered that when you work, the work at the house waits for you.  I have piles and piles of laundry.  And errands.  And clutter.  And messy bathrooms (remember that is David's GOAL which means he is still working to achieve such things...)  And things I absolutely need to get done.

But it just snowed. 

And my friend texted.  

So I'm going skiing. 

And my husband is so awesome that he supports me in that decision.  Even if it means he has to eat left-overs.  (Which he didn't - I made chicken and artichoke heart crepes which were SO delicious!) 

6 comments:

Kelly Jensen said...

I am so proud Of you!! You are such a super hero!

Christina said...

Good for you Mindy! And good for David for being supportive. :) I'm sure that he is totally jealous. I wish you could have been my substitute (I mean guest teacher). I'm sure you're awesome. Although, the kids probably would have preferred the scream! :)

Sally said...

You are so cute, I can just see you as a teacher! Good luck with all the work waiting at home! :) It sucks!

Christi said...

On top of everything you do now you have a job. You really are superwoman. Love you!

Zina said...

A neighbor kid who lives at her grandpa's was just telling me she has to get rid of her pet (some sort of lizard) because it eats crickets and some of the crickets got out and the grandpa didn't like it, so the lizard has to go. I'm only telling you that because I think it's weird that I heard TWO tales of escaped crickets in one day.

My undone chores are piled just as high as yours with no such good excuse. AND I don't ski. You win (I think--it's a little hard to do the math on this one).

Britney said...

You're so amazing! A school teacher?! I'm sure you are the best!

And to even get back and MAKE dinner?? I would have for sure pick up take out.