Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Nine year old milestone


Nine year olds don't hit many milestones. They already know how to walk and are potty trained. They've been baptized and can read and ride a bike without training wheels. So when my oldest daughter was hanging out in our cottage by herself one night, I thought that was odd, but didn't think much beyond that. (A little background - our house came with this little cottage outside. It's a perfect play house and when the kids have friends over they love to play in it. My kids will never play out there by themselves though as they still always seem to be in the same area of the house that I'm in. If' I'm upstairs, they're upstairs. If I'm downstairs they are downstairs.) And then it hit me like a ton of bricks - she's ok by herself. She's entered her stage of independence. She doesn't have to be near me all the time. She can think differently and have different opinions than I do. She doesn't necessarily want to be just like me anymore! She's really growing up and I have to admit it's breaking my heart! She's my baby that made me a mother. She slept under my desk when I went back to work after she was born. I sobbed her first day of kindergarten. It just makes me realize how quickly each stage ends. One minute she was my princess in pink and with two girls I thought we'd never be out of the princess world. Before I knew what was happening, she was a tom-girl climbing trees. No more princess dress-ups. She was my toddler that was afraid of the mosquitos sucking her blood and now she's my girl who will save the spiders in the house before I smash them. Why can't they stay little forever! I love my little girl so much and it's so unreal to me that my baby is 9 years old. It makes me wonder what I'm going to look back on these next nine years that will bring tears to my eyes. Who would've thought Sierra reading in the cottage by herself would spur such emotions. I'm definitely mourning the past, but it's also very exciting to see the type of person she's turning out to be and I truly am so proud of my strong and independent little girl.

8 comments:

JaNece said...

That is so sweet, I'm totally crying! I can see how fast time goes. And I was just saying to myself that I need to cherish these moments when my kids are little b/c one day they won't want me to sit down and read with them or hold them! AHhhh! Sierra is so cute! And she is so lucky to have YOU as a mom! You rock!!!

Laura said...

I just LOVE your pictures of Sierra, they perfectly capture your feelings you are writing about!!! I just wrote an opposite entry "I have a dream----" so after reading your kind, loving words, I am regreting my rude, evil thoughts!!! You summed it all up so well!

Sally said...

Thanks for sharing such a tender experience, it's amazing when they happen over something as small as that. I am mourning the younger years also but looking forward to a more mature relationship with my kiddos. I always tell them to stop growing up! Maybe I should stop that considering all the horrific things they still do (acting like toddlers, impulsively and not caring about consequences!) HA!

Tyra said...

It is so amazing to think that one day my kids will want to be independent from me. Every day I try to reinforce that they will always need me even though I know it won't last for ever, or even for a few more years. Sierra looks just like you in that first picture though. She can't be too independent looking just like you.

Cindy said...

Such a sweet post Mindy - I'm already feeling like that and Landon's only two! Man am I in trouble :)

Britney said...

Mindy - this is so sweet and seriously have tears in my eyes thinking about it!

I agree, I wish we could freeze them in time (well... maybe when Max is out of the FREAKOUT stage, then I will freeze him!)

Max told me the other day he wants to be little forever so he can love me! Apparently he won't love me when he's older...ah!

Natalie said...

Sierra is such a doll. I remember her sleeping under your desk like it was yesterday. I was so attached to her and I'm sad I never see her. I have been told to cherish every second and every stage. It sure is true. Even 19 months later I'm thinking where in the world is my baby. Such a sweet post! I think all moms can relate.

Zina said...

Those are such beautiful pictures!

I am always (like, once a week) telling Dean how baffling and mysterious time and motherhood are to me -- that if I were to wish the kids any bigger any faster, I can't do it, but once they do get bigger you can never go back. I know these are just facts of life, but they still astound me.