Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Karsten's Favorite Day


Wednesday is trash day. The garbage comes around and collects from an array of green, gray, and brown trash cans that are just teeming with exciting trash. Karsten's fascination with garbage trucks which started at a very early age has now spilled over into a fascination of trash in general.
He loves to look inside each and every trash can we pass. He comments on how much is inside, how it smells, etc. He knows the difference between recyclable trash, organic trash, and plain old trash.
The climax of the day is when he looks at our trash can that was stuffed full to see that it is now empty and truly the garbage man exists. (He usually misses seeing the garbage man that gets the brown trash can because it happens while he's napping...) He'll pull the garbage cans back against our house and start counting down the days until next week...


(That is after he goes and looks in all the neighbor's trash cans to make sure the garbage man didn't forget to pick up their trash too.)


**Karsten's other favorite thing is "tags" which he likes to constantly play with in his shirts and pants (and towels, blankets, and pillowcases, but that's a whole other story...). Unfortunately when he's playing with the one in his pants, it looks a little bit improper as you can see in some of these pictures.
I'm constantly trying to explain to people, " It's just his tag..."

11 comments:

Tristen said...

Mindy, GREAT POST. Hilarious about the tag, but also fun about the garbage man. He needs to spend some time at my house because the garbage trucks are constantly rumbling outside... we did an experiment and put our building's recycle bins outside on a day that they weren't scheduled to be emptied, and sure enough, a miracle recycle man came that day and took them. One benefit to living downtown! Constant garbage!

Britney said...

I am laughing! The tag this is so funny! Does he just like the feel? I love that!

Yes, trash day...classic!

Laura said...

How funny! I love reading about little Karsten. What a sweet, cute little boy. Isn't it so fun to see how each child has their own unique interests and ways of being? Love it.

Zina said...

So cute! Mabel laughed out loud at the line about the garbage man being real.

Have you seen those taggy blankets that are about 12" square and have ribbon tags all around the edges? Well, I guess he might be a little old for one of those, though.

Marianna said...

I really truly love this kid! He's so dang cute! When ever he takes a nap at my house I always make sure to give him a blanket with a tag and he goes right to sleep! And I try not to get embarrassed when he looks in my trash...yuck! :)

JaNece said...

Every time I read your blog I leave smiling and laughing! SO CUTE! Karsten is too funny with the garbage and the tags! What a stud! I just love him and wish he was here to play with Lukas. Or we were there.

Natalie said...

Those are great pictures. The last one with his hand down his pants makes me laugh. To cute!

Jeni said...

Sweet butt shot. I love it! That one would be framed at my house.

Sally said...

What an adorable child! I love those funny quirks about kids!

Karen said...

He is too cute. I love that he loves garbage - because, why not?! Maybe he'll be a famous scientist that figures out how to change all garbage into something usable and save our landfills from overflowing.

The tag thing is really adorable too.

Christi said...

I bet before long he'll have all of you composting. LOL
You know he would have loved going to the dump with PaPa!!! :)