Monday, December 6, 2010

Medium

Kids are never predictable.  So throwing a surprise party for Karsten who insisted that he did NOT want a party was risky at best.  But he's my baby so this was my last chance to throw a party for a turning 6-year old!  And he refused a party last year so I just had to have one for him to show him that birthday parties are FUN!  So we went sledding, and suddenly all of his friends showed up!  He didn't seem too clued in about this.  He was just happy to have friends there.  After sledding everyone raced back to our house for the surprise.  He sensed something was up and would NOT come upstairs.  Few tears.  Not happy.  No problem.  Everyone yelled surprise from the balcony.  My friend Carolyn saved the party by sending down a present to open (the coolest nerf gun) and then he was happy.  Problem solved.  Good times.  He had so much fun playing with all his friends and eating yummy food and getting awesome presents.  I felt very good about how it all went down.

As Karsten was heading to bed, David had him come and tell me thank you.  
"Thank you so much for my party mom."  
"You're welcome, did you have so much fun?"  
His reply, "Medium."  

From my son who did NOT want a party, I will take this as success.  

3 comments:

JaNece said...

You are the cutest mom ever!!! I love that you did this for Karsten and that he had "medium" fun. We miss you guys so much, but it is so fun to see the great things you are doing. BIG HUGS to you and that birthday boy!

Christi said...

Poor kid. Maybe he's just not the party kind. At least he had "medium" fun. Love the pictures.

Becca said...

You know how to really throw a party!! Miss you!