Wednesday, August 27, 2008

First Day!

Am I really old enough to have a 4th grader and a 2nd grader??? The girls started school today! Of course now that they are back in the school, the weather is hot - unlike the whole summer. But they were all smiles with their new back packs (all their new school clothes are too hot to wear now!) and packed lunches.
On Monday we had one of our favorite back-to-school traditions - our ABC picnic! We invited all our friends and randomly assigned them a letter of the alphabet. They brought something to the picnic that starts with the letter. We never know what we end up with but it's always yummy!
Our other back-to-school tradition is that we always start the school year with banana splits! There is no other time in the year when I can justify giving my kids 3 scoops of ice cream with 3 toppings AND whipped cream and sprinkles... But it's the start of school so I cave and they really look forward to it! I didn't have any bananas and Sierra's eyes got wide and asked incredulously, "Mom, how can we have banana splits without bananas??" Luckily Safeway had some yellow bananas. So they get some fruit too. It's not all bad, right?

12 comments:

Amy said...

I love the first picture. Your girls are precious!

Christi said...

Well, that first picture is just beautiful. How is it that Karsten has gone from looking like a little to boy to a young man over the summer? He looks so much older in that last picture.

Natalie said...

I also love the first picture. It's perfect. You are always doing the funnest things with your kids.

Becca said...

The ABC picnic was so fun. I think when I move I'm going to have to steal that idea!

Before I know it, my girls will be like yours and headed off to 4th and 2nd grade. Seriously, where does time go? My mom use to say that all the time and now I GET IT!

Jen said...

i love that they are holing hands! Check out my auction at www.peekabooprints.blogspot.com to raise money for the Nieslons

Kelly Jensen said...

Love the picture of the girls holding hands... that pic says 1000 words. I have sisters and I get it... something about power in numbers, stregnth in family, knowing no matter what- you've got each other when it comes right down to it! LOVE IT!

Jeni said...

What great pictures to show your great summer! I am going to have to take some lessons on "just playing" during the summer with our kids. You guys do it right!

Jyl said...

What a great idea for a picnic Mindy! my kids start school next week, Maybe I will have to steal your idea this week! hahah. I am looking at every ones blogs and it seems my kids are the only ones that start school the first week in Sept. hmmm.. oh well, one more week of the perfect summer!BTW I love the picture of the girls walking to school together! so cute!

Tyra said...

What a cute picture. You are such a great mom--ice cream sundaes and ABC picnics. You have great ideas.

Britney said...

This first picture is so sweet! I love how those two are such good friends...

AND, the party looks so fun! I hate missing good parties!

Sally said...

I love your traditions!! Keep sharing so I can steal them!!!!! Your kids are so cute!!! I can't believe I have a 5th, 3rd, and 2nd grader!!!! Crazy!!!

Christina said...

Regarding the fact that at no other time of the year can you justify giving you kids all that sugar, well I guess what you don't know about what happens at Aunt Christy's house can't hurt ya! :)